Search This Blog!

Friday, January 17, 2014

Konoha vs the World

Hey everyone! I'm back, and I wanted to share with you something new that I'll be starting, to get people who haven't been with me a while up to speed on the series that I put out on YouTube. So, I figure I might as well start with pretty much the first thing I did on YouTube:
Status: Ended | Reasoning: Loss of Interest
The very first series I started on YouTube was actually just an outward showing of my undying love and adoration for the ninja series Naruto (ナルト) by Masashi Kishimoto. As of right now, there are 17 rounds [Read: videos] in total, but I do not plan on adding any more to the series. I put the reasoning up as loss of interest, but there are also other factors for me not continuing with the series. 
One of the major factors is that I do not keep up with what's totally new in MUGEN like I used to. This has a lot to do with Elecbyte coming back and the subsequent additions/edits to the engine that have been going on. If you know me in any capacity, you'll know that I pretty much hate change, so... The whole moving on thing has to be totally wonderful for me to be on board (What they did to Soul Calibur V, with the changing of guard impacts and adding in the equivalent of hypers, for example, totally has made me swear off the series as a whole). I have decided recently though, that once I finish filling up my current normal-size MUGEN, I might actually move onto 1.0, but that's quite a bit down the road. There's also the fact that I have since separated my MUGEN into regular size characters (and characters that were intended to be played with regular size characters, like Iggy from JoJo's and Kobun, the Servbot with a Sentinel Stand, a la JoJo's) and then a separate MUGEN just for chibis. This takes away a lot of what made Konoha vs the World interesting, and also it splits the teams up and their enemies. I also don't really collect any more chibi characters, so what I've got, is what I've got, and the majority of new Naruto characters being released are chibis. 
In any case, the series started pre-Time Skip, and I originally had three teams. In each episode I would have a four man squad of Konoha ninja, and I would fight a random squad of four characters from my MUGEN. If a Konoha ninja was defeated, they would move to the back of the squad for the next video. If you want to see what it was like at the beginning, here is Round 1. For some reason, I cannot find Round 1 in the search results, thus I cannot post it on the blog itself. 
For the first Seven videos, the formula remained exactly the same, three teams against enemies. The teams are as follows:
  • Team 1: LEE_COSPLAY from MUGENChina [Most likely authored by Misamu], Naruto by Drowin, Shikamaru_COSPLAY from MUGENChina [Most likely authored by Misamu], Kiba_COSPLAY [Most likely authored by Misamu]
This team appeared in Rounds 1, 4, 7 and 11.

  • Team 2:  Sakura by Cyanide, Chouji_COSPLAY + Hinata_COSPLAY, + Neji_COSPLAY from MUGENChina [Author is most likely Misamu]
This team appeared in Rounds 2, 5, 9 and 12.

  • Team 3: Tenten_COSPLAY + Ino_COSPLAY + Sarutobi_COSPLAY from MUGENChina [Author is most likely Misamu], Sasuke by Cyanide
This team appeared in Rounds 3, 6, 10 and 13.

  • Team 4: Shino_COSPLAY + Sakura_COSPLAY + Naruto_COSPLAY + SASUKE_COSPLAY from MUGENChina [Author is most likely Misamu]
This team appeared in Rounds 8 and 14.
With Round 8 I tried to change things up by adding a new team. However, there was an enormous break as I ventured off onto different things on YouTube between Rounds 14 and 15. I tried to bring back the magic by incorporating themes from the actual series, like the timeskip and characters dying, but technical issues and stuff got in my way. However, the teams were remade to reflect the changes and they became:

  • Post-Timeskip Team 1:  Naruto_COSPLAY + SASUKE_COSPLAY + Shino_COSPLAY + Sakura_COSPLAY from MUGENChina [Author is most likely Misamu]
This team appeared in Round 15.

  • Post-Timeskip Team 2: ino_COSPLAY from MUGENChina [Author is most likely Misamu], Chuunin Shikamaru by jordz187, Chouji_COSPLAY + Temari_COSPLAY from MUGENChina [Author is most likely Misamu] 
This team appeared in Round 16.

  • Post-Timeskip Team 3: NEJI_COSPLAY from MUGENChina [Author is most likely Misamu], LEE by hyuga, tenten_COSPLAY from MUGENChina [Author is most likely Misamu], Sakura by Cyanide 
This team appeared in Round 17.
And, with 17, I just kind of stopped caring. That, and I wasn't into MUGEN as much anymore, technical difficulties and all that jazz too, reared their ugly heads, so I just kinda gave up. 
The things to note from this series are that recently I went back and made custom images for each of the videos, using actual sprites I ripped through fighter factory, and when I didn't have the characters anymore, I took screenshots of the video and tried my best to extract the sprites that I needed. For some reason, when you're working on YouTube, if you have a custom thumbnail, as opposed to an image that was preselected by YouTube itself, the chances are increased that someone will stop and watch your video. You would think that if people knew what they were in for, they'd be more likely to click it, but that's just not true. There's also the fact that a lot of these videos are from my total noob era where I had the STUPID watermark from my unregistered screen recorder up there. I mean, I have more recently had the same problem, but that's only 'cuz of even MORE technical difficulties. In the beginning though, I was just new. The original series of videos, say... 1-13 or so are also INCREDIBLY LOUD, so be aware of the fact that they will probably [Read: DEFINITELY] blow your eardrums out if you've got headphones on. This is also the series I really realized how helpful annotations could be, and really, I began playing around with them because of it. While not a 'pro' (Can you even be a pro at putting up annotations?), I've certainly become much more well-versed in their uses because of Konoha vs the World. This is also one of the only series I have where you can actually get a glimpse of the custom themes/stages I have selected for characters in my MUGEN, since I am using an arcade mode as opposed to watch mode.
Also, out of NOWHERE quite recently, I got hit with an audio copyright claim on Round 14, and it has had no sound since then. 
There is only one particular video in this series that is anything special, though I have never been able to figure out why, and that's Round 10: 

For some reason, for years and years, Round 10 was my most watched video (As of this very moment, it has 46, 639 views), and to this day, I still have no idea why. Maybe it's because of the Lee vs Sasuke rivalry or something... Combined with Mai Shiranui's boobies or... I dunno what. It's also possibly got the most annoyingly grating theme of any video in the series, which I find kind of funny. The theme that plays in this video is the one I have set for Mai Shiranui in my MUGEN, "You Want To Pet Me, Right...?" from the .Hack//Dusk OST. I believe it was Ouka's theme. Since Mai is the anchor of the opposing team, the level and theme I have set for her played.  

No comments:

Post a Comment