Search This Blog!

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Rushing Beat Shura/ルッシュングビート 修羅

I literally just realized as I started to write this blog entry, that I have in fact done a complete playthrough of more than one game. It wasn't just Saints Row the Third, but I have a complete playthrough of Rushing Beat Shura, and I guess to that extent, Knights & Dragons too (Though I think that the version I played was an early release or something, I don't think it's finished)! Anyway, back on topic...
Status: On Hold-- Will probably play through Co-Op at some point
One of the things I did when I started to get serious, and also with the help of the legwork I had done in Otaku Hell, was after compiling a list of all the games I have, (THANK YOU BACKLOGGERY FOR HELPING ME DO THIS A LOT EASIER) I went and looked at what games I own that there is almost no footage of on YouTube. That might seem like somewhat vague criteria, so, for me personally, I decided that if a particular game has less than 100 videos in total, then there should probably be more footage of it up there! Not only that, but because I am able to film games that no one else can, it also provides me with a somewhat steady viewership. As of right now, the video that gets the most views for me is one of the games I chose in this manner, and it's of a Beats of Rage mod that there was I think... only one or two other videos of. If you're wondering, that video is Final Fight DC Stage 1 Cody and Haggar. 
Ahh, I'm getting off-topic again! BACK ON TRACK! There are tons and tons of people that do popular games like MineCraft, because they are popular, and hope to get views that way. It's hard when there are literally millions of other people doing the same exact thing to get noticed, so I decided to go about it the exact opposite way. I'd try to put up footage that people can only come to me for. Much easier to get noticed this way, and besides that I also get the chance to spread the word about series and just singular games that a lot of people have never had a chance to encounter before. I am a big fan of beat-em-ups in general, so a lot of the homebrew and lesser titles that I own are really fun for me to play, and it's even better that I get to share them with the audience too!
I might someday make a blog post about the considerable list of games I have that there is almost no footage of. Either that, or I may make public the sign-on sheet for them so that if it's possible, other people can join me in playing them. I have a pretty good sign-up sheet now, it's just that... as you know, many of my friends are hella lazy (I am too). As of right now though, I have quite a few people that signed on to help me with videos. Lots of familiar faces, like GrimJak, afightingpenguin, CrazyBacon, JackBauer, The Laundry King, and maybe even a few others! If I made it public, I feel like we could get a lot better camaraderie going with the audience, and it would help me to choose which games first to play. 
I actually have a concise list of the games I plan on filming in the near future, so I will probably be slow, unless I get a lot of requests. Though, since I have received relatively no interest regarding my Selected Genre Series, I probably have no reason to worry about getting to requests or anything of that nature slowly, hah. 
Oh right, I was supposed to talk about Rushing Beat Shura! Well, this is an old-school beat-em-up in the vein of Streets of Rage (ベアナックル 怒りの鉄拳 for you Japanese speakers out there) or Final Fight. The game was localized in the States and released as The Peace Keepers, but it underwent a ton of changes. I am not entirely sure exactly why I decided to choose this particular game to run through, perhaps because I figured it was short and I could get the whole thing out on a relatively small time frame. Going back to something I mentioned in the past, I think it's best when you don't have a devoted following to keep your LPs relatively short, probably finishing within 10-12 videos. Oddly enough, with the way campaigns are being done lately, this doesn't limit you as much as you would think. 
I played through the game by myself, but the game is co-op. There are also multiple paths, and depending on which you take, you can actually unlock other characters. I happened to get the robot, AKA Metal Frame, in my playthrough which made me REALLY happy. I think that sometime in the future, I may play this with a friend, and hopefully unlock and get to show you guys the characters I missed/didn't use in the playthrough I've already done. I also tried something a little different with the rendering in this Let's Play. I tried to pump it out in HD, and much to my chagrin, it didn't really come out looking as good as I had wanted. The first four videos in the series can be viewed in 1440p (That's stages 1-6). Unfortunately, getting them to pop out in that stunning HD quality makes the videos pretty narrow-looking. I'd personally rather they have been kinda fat, like normal. If you want a look at that HD beauty, you can view Part 1 (Stage 1) right here on the blog:
The last four videos I popped out at 720p, and they suffer from a lot less screen-smushing. You can view Part 5 (Stage 7) right here too:
There are lots of people on YouTube that care only whether or not the videos they're watching are in HD, but as most of you know, I could care less how pretty the videos are if they're entertaining. While it's nice and all that I could potentially pop out 1440p videos, I don't really see a need for it, especially not when the aspect ratio is gonna get all weird. The 720p videos also give me a border on the video, but I'm not gonna worry or obsess over it. It still came out lookin' pretty good for me. I believe they were rendered in HD through Windows Movie Maker, so that may have in fact had something to do with it. Other programs probably don't do as weird things to your video as WMM does, y'know, when it's not crashing or anything. 
If for some reason, you think it's better that I pop out more videos in 1440p, please lemme know your stance, and give a valid reason why, besides "OMFG IT'S SO PRETTY," as I don't really find that a serious stance at all. 
This was also one of the first times I really got to experiment with mid-roll ads. If you are a partner with a network, or just through YouTube itself (That means you're able to monetize your videos), and your video is more than 10 minutes long, you can choose to put ads not at just the beginning and the end of your video, but also in the middle, as long as the ad breaks are spaced at least 7 minutes apart. One of the suggestions about them is to place them at natural breaks in the video, so I try to use them only between stages. While it's kind of cool to have that kind of control over the ads that appear on your videos, I fear the abuse of it on long videos. A really prominent Dark Souls YouTuber, VaatiVidya, who I love to watch dearly, just discovered this feature it seems, and he placed an ad in the middle of his latest video for no apparent reason, when it already had an ad at the beginning, and that actually made me kind of upset. He already sort-of kind-of works for Namco Bandai's PR department now, and I feel he doesn't need to be annoying his viewers with more ads grabbing money.  
Let's go back to Rushing Beat Shura though! Instead of Co-Op, I might actually try the multiplayer vs mode. That might be really fun, at least for a little while! I enjoyed playing this, and I'm hoping to get at least a few more complete runs of games up on YouTube at some point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment