Search This Blog!

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Survival Mode

Let's take a look-see at my one somewhat impromptu playlist.
Status: Ongoing -- I need to add more videos to this playlist
Honestly, I never intended most of the videos on this playlist to be together, but.. They just sort of fit. Being that I started out as a fighting game channel, and then added beat-em-ups to my regular roster, it actually makes quite a bit of sense that at some point I would be playing survival mode. 
In MUGEN, playing survival is actually a really good way to show off a character. You could play through arcade mode, or whatever your regular progressive mode is called, but in my opinion survival is better. You're just stuck with a single character (Or co-op survival, so there's more than one player) and thrown into more and more difficult battles, so you have to rise to the challenge. If you wanna survive, you'll have to learn as you go. Admittedly, this also makes for good videos in my case. I have to adapt and get better so that my opponents can't stop me, and I get to showcase a particular character. I think that's where most of the survival videos in MUGEN on my channel actually came from, I just wanted to introduce my friends and my audience to a new character, and what about them I found interesting and/or cool. 
The video with the most views in this playlist is the Asakura Ryouko [朝倉涼子] Survival run:
One of the absolute best things about MUGEN is that you can bring in characters from any universe and basically you get a chance to have the battles you've always dreamt about. MUGEN is basically any (fighting) gamer's wet dream. Even if you don't like fighting games, it's still a pretty novel concept for non-gamers to watch the battles play out. As you can see from the title, it's got a particular formatting that I've tried to keep throughout all of my videos. I've mentioned before that you should be inspiring confidence in your audience, and that scheduling is one way to do that. Another way is oddly enough, uniformity. As I go through my videos and edit the metadata on them, I've been changing the titles so that all of my videos follow a particular format. First of all, this makes them easier to find, but it also makes it easier for the audience to pick and choose which videos they want to see better, instead of clicking just to see what it actually is. 
Also, remember how I said that you can use more tags if you vary your language? It also works in titles, actually, it might be a lot better if you try to provide dual-language titles. If you're a fan of anime or gaming in general, you will know that a lot of the time when a series gets localized, a lot changes, even names of the major characters. Therefore, it makes sense to help all the people looking for a video like yours to find it, so a good idea is to add a character's name in all the major languages it usually appears. To that end, I generally use both the English name of a character and the Japanese name. Don't forget about your metadata people!
Oh, yeah, but, back on track. Playlists help group similar content together, and help to kind of... spread views out among a particular set of videos. Though while not really evident here, since the videos in this playlist have view counts kind of all over the place, if the videos are together on a playlist, and someone happens to look at the playlist, they will definitely be more likely to watch videos with similar content if they liked the first one. Plus, even though this started with MUGEN, I've been able to bring in other games (AND I PLAN ON BRINGING IN EVEN MORE IN THE FUTURE, MWAHAHAHA) like Urban Reign, for example. By putting these videos together on the playlist, the fans of one just might be inclined to develop a new interest in the others. 
Survival mode makes for good videos because not only does it force you to learn and apply what you know on the spot in varying degrees but... It's also a chance to show off. Let's be serious, the average person generally wants to watch (gaming) footage of people that are better than them. If you can do what you're watching, then you'd be doing it instead of watching it, right? Seems simple enough.  

No comments:

Post a Comment