Search This Blog!

Monday, March 21, 2016

The problem with video games as 'work'

As I've become more serious about what I do on YouTube and Twitch, I've been dealing with classifying my time with video games. It's been a long time since I've been able to say that I could absolutely lose myself in a video game. While I certainly do miss being able to do that, it hasn't diminished my fun or my love for games. On the other hand, with Twitch and YouTube taking up so much of my days, I can't really say that I play anything "just for fun" anymore. That is a major issue for me right now.
When you have to spend so much time getting footage or sharing a game with the audience, you really don't have that much time just to sit and enjoy an experience yourself. Everything starts to seem like its work instead of just a fun romp through a digital world. The only game I play "for fun" now is SMITE, and when you've got a backlog as big as I do of video games, playing a game that has no major goal to achieve seems like quite a timesink. I could be completing so many other games in the time I've spent sitting on SMITE.
Then again, that's also part of the problem, now isn't it? Not only do I constantly think of what I'm doing as work, I also think of games I might start playing in the future as work. I've been trying to not be so strictly adhered to the schedules I developed for myself to live my life by because... Let's face it, life's not about all the carefully laid plans you've set out. Is it truly living if you never let yourself experience something that hasn't been penciled in? As much as it pains my OCD to say so, I certainly don't think so. 
There's a balance in everything and I've got to find mine! All work and no play makes Okami a dull boy, and it's also pretty certain that I'll burn out if I keep things up like this...

No comments:

Post a Comment