Search This Blog!

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Music in games

It's no surprise to anyone that I'm a huge fan of video game (inspired) music. I guess I don't have a preference for what kind of music it is, as long as it's somewhat video game related. What I'm getting at is that while not nearly as important as gameplay, the BGM in a game can really influence whether you feel at home in the game's world, whether or not you like the game. 
There's lots of iconic video game soundtracks out there that even the slightest fan would recognize after just a five second sampling. There are tons of amazing video game composers out there in the mix, some well known and some... not so much. One of the games with a soundtrack that's stuck with me through the years that I almost NEVER play has been Sonic R.
It's a... 3D racing game where instead of you racing cars, or, as was popular at the time, karts, you actually just race with/against the characters in the Sonic the Hedgehog universe. I never really understood why Sonic needed a car in Sega Superstars Racing. Let's face it, he can run at near-lightspeed, and he can even fly with chaos emeralds. What does he need a car for? When he goes super in that game he even ditches the car altogether. Unless he's afraid of getting tired, I don't really see a point in him driving the car at all. 
The reason I'm writing this article is because I am gonna try something a little bit different in the near future. I've been looking at my notebook and trying to decide what I want to do for the next few weeks in regards to Tuesday uploads. I played Sonic R to completion sometime in high school, and I have never played it after that, but I am 100% sure that I know all of the music to it, and it has stuck with me to this day. I'm going to start a LP of the game without commentary on my channel once I get things figured out (As we all know Win8.1 can be rather finnicky when it comes to installing older programs). I want all of you guys out there to be able to enjoy the music to this game like I do, even after all these years. 
I know that I have a lot of work to do getting to your requests and other things I've said I've done, but I'm actually really backed up on fighting game/beat-em-up videos at this point. I've got Saturday uploads scheduled ALLLL the way until September! I've got Tekken, Bloody Roar, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and MUGEN requests coming up, as well as some more Okamigakure-full videos! 
Stay tuned, the best is yet to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment