Search This Blog!

Thursday, October 15, 2015

NYCC 2015

Another October brings with it another New York Comic Con! Let me tell you guys about my experiences this year!
First of all, we expanded past the Jacob Javits Center and also rented the Hammerstein Ballroom. While that's great and all that we're getting bigger and bigger (we're no SDCC, of course), it's a little strange to make people leave the center to see certain attractions. No one in our group partook in any panels or showings at the Hammerstein Ballroom this year, as we were all much too lazy to walk out and then walk back in. Besides, the best time to walk into NYCC is obviously before the doors open so you can stand in that huge throng of smelly nerds and be one with your people. 
While we didn't make it to the Hammerstein Ballroom for anything, I actually made it to the Main Stage for the Firefly Reunion panel this year along with The Laundry King!
 I FUCKING MADE IT
To get to an event on the main stage, you need to head to the "Queue Hall," which is an entire hall devoted to people just standing in line. You have to wait on line for each panel that you want to see, and you have to run there the absolute second the show opens. Even if you book it to the queue hall you still might not get a wristband, but I suppose knowing at the beginning of the day whether or not you're going to get into a panel is better than standing outside one for the entire day and then finding out you can't get in. Alan Tudyk, Nathan Fillion, Gina Torres and Jewel Staite were at this panel, and it was friggin' amazing! It was so good, that I took notes! Here's a wonderful excerpt:
When asked about their favorite desserts, Jewel just kept rifling off answers, and then she said: 
It's really bad, my nephew asked me the other day if I dyed my hair because I like pumpkin pie so much...
 I also had the chance to attend the Disney Infinity 3.0 panel, and in it they gave us some really cool info on a new expansion coming out called Marvel Battlegrounds. In the Battlegrounds, you'll be able to have 4 player arena brawls (like Power Stone 2) with the Marvel characters in Disney Infinity. They also debuted some new figures coming out on the horizon:
 Hulkbuster and Maskless (MCU) Captain America
 They also were kind enough to hand out a Hulkbuster figure to everyone in attendance!
There were still a lot of issues regarding actually getting into panels, but I have to say, renting out the Hammerstein Ballroom really did help with the overcrowding. You could actually see the floor in most spots while you were upstairs on the show floor, which is something I definitely was not accustomed to. They refused to clear people out of panels, so there are tons of people that literally sit in one room all day, and that causes people who wanted to do other things to be left out of panels they were hoping to be a part of. 
The real difference this year though, was that for the first time in my life, I put on a costume! CrazyBacon and Kaitylyn had different costumes for each of the three days that we attended, but they included me in their Saturday costumes!
I can now say with absolute certainty that attending a con is costume is an entirely different experience than going without one. Everyone you pass is at least 100% more likely to talk to you, and they were already pretty friendly to begin with. The interactions you have are also great! I got chased and speared by two shy guys while lining up in the morning, and a zombie mario and luigi tried to eat me during the day! It was an absolute blast! I've decided from now on that I'm going to try my best to get dressed up at least once whenever I attend NYCC in the future, because that is definitely an experience that I want to relive! 

No comments:

Post a Comment