Search This Blog!

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Otaku Hell

I'm sure many of you on the YouTubs have thought about doing a gaming related podcast, or episodic web show or... something of that nature. I am with you on that one! And alongside GrimJak, PianoNox, JackBauer and with a little help from The Burning Punch X it actually happened for me! 
Status: Ended - However, the status may change in the future ;)
This was our first real attempt at a show, and actually, pretty much my first attempt at getting footage with a camera and then also footage of games and mashing them up. It actually took a hell of a long time to edit properly, especially since I started doing this in Windows Movie Maker... With the constant crashing and freezes and all that jazz, it really did take a hell of a lot longer than it should have. What's funny about me saying that is that even though I just bashed the hell out of Windows Movie Maker, I still do use it from time to time. One might say I'm a glutton for punishment, in this particular case!
I guess you could also say that this was my first attempt at collaboration! I actually just realized that as I was proofreading what I had written so far. I mean, most of my videos before this involve other people, like my buddies GrimJak and co., but Otaku Hell marked the first time I collaborated with another YouTube creator, my buddy The Burning Punch X (<-- You should all go take a look at his channel). Do you see what I just did there? That's really the greatest benefit of collaboration on YouTube, and why you should consider it. For the most part, the people you would be collaborating with should, for all intents and purposes, have a somewhat similar theme, and thus have somewhat of the same audience. When you collaborate, especially when you're a smaller channel like us, you have the potential to let's call it... Cross-pollinate your audience. You can bring new people in from the other person's audience to your own channel, while giving the other person a chance to grab some new fans from your own audience. Believe me, this helps out in a big way, for both of you!
Well, now that I've made a point to show you the greatness of the idea of collaboration, lemme go back and tell you about this particular series. We tackled one basic issue. I will post right here on the blog for your enjoyment, the first episode. We tackled the issue of whether or not games have gotten harder or easier over time.
We unfortunately digressed quite a bit from our original topic, but we finished up what we had to say in the second episode, which actually led to a lot of things. However, this is where Grimjak got his unofficial, and probably most HATED nickname of all; "Eat that shit," or just ETS for short. Actually, since I became a partner with Fullscreen and was able to open a spreadshirt store, I made a shirt specifically to commemorate this occasion, and if you feel so inclined, you can check it out on the Okamigakure Spreadshirt store! Look for "The Toad." Lemme tell you, being a partner with fullscreen is really cool, so many opportunities I never woulda gotten if I just stayed by myself.  
Back on topic though, this is an issue that a lot of gamers have been talking about in recent years, what with the whole notion of hand-holding in games taking an unprecedented level in game design. I think I would say more than anything else, rather than games getting harder or easier, at this point in time it's more like the developers have started to think we as gamers are just not as mentally capable as we used to be. It's somewhat... degrading actually, when you think about it. Even casual gamers can grasp most concepts if they stare at them for a while. You don't really need to be as rude about it with your tutorials. 
In any case, one of the ways to get views and expand your channel is to talk about current events and other things related to your field that are 'hot-button' issues. Vloggers practically do this for a living, but it can help gamers too, if you talk about things that are occurring within our particular microcosm of the [media] world. While this series didn't get as far as we had hoped it would, it was still a lot of fun to do. It was also kind of a celebration of the support I got from all of you guys over the years, since I had started. Though, in retrospect I realize it's a little weird to reward support and community with something totally different than the content you generally provide, it at least gave me a little more experience with editing multiple videos together and it also taught me about voiceovers. 
Also, we released a blooper reel to celebrate my 200th subscriber-- waaaay back in 2009. Let's hope I can get to 300 before the end of this year, since I'm really giving YouTube my all, just like I used to. As of this very moment, I am at 286 subscribers. I think 300 subs is not too hard a goal to achieve in a year, and I am READY.

No comments:

Post a Comment