Search This Blog!

Friday, January 31, 2014

Selected Genre Series [SGS]

I think this might be the shortest entry yet in my series of entries about my YouTube series. My smallest, and least viewed series:
Status: Ongoing - MAKE A SUGGESTION PEOPLE
This is the first and only series I've ever come up with that has been purely dictated by my audience. It was an experiment, to say the least, and almost no one wanted to join in on the fun. One of the things that helps bolster your audience's confidence, and helps you to build a sense of community with them is allowing them to participate in your content. I decided that one of the best ways to do that, was to let people choose exactly what they wanted to see. Thus, the Selected Genre Series was born! 
I was trying to come up with a somewhat catchy name for it, and while I was writing down a bunch of them, I started to think up what their acronyms would end up being. SGS was definitely the best of the ones I came up with, purely based on the fact that Akuma/Gouki (豪鬼) from Street Fighter's ultimate attack shares the same acronym. For those of you not in on the loop, his ultimate ability is called the "Raging Demon" in English, but in Japan it's the Shun Goku Satsu (瞬獄殺 -- or translated as "Instant Hell Murder"). I went with this because I felt as though since I started as, and still am primarily a channel for fighting games, that people might stumble across the series every once in a while while searching for one of the most popular Street Fighter characters of all time. Unfortunately, it didn't really work in my favor. 
Anyway, the way that this series works is actually pretty simple. Since I have SO many games, I wanted people to let me show them something fun from my vast archives. You give me a genre of game, and I give you a video showcasing a game in my collection that I think either not enough people know about, or that I find to be really fun/special! The only person to actually suggest anything is my friend Cam, the leader of Team Rushdown.
His first suggestion was platformer, and for that, I decided I would film my very first game for the Sega Genesis, Mystic Defender. 
Even though this was the absolute first game I ever got for my Genesis, I have NEVER beaten it. Really, I've never gotten past the same stage. I miss the difficulty and the playstyle of these older platformers, where the only way to win was basically to memorize everything that was going to happen, and then figure out a way around it. Man... Speaking of incomplete games on the Genesis, that's basically my entire collection. hahahahhahaa. This is one of a few times I used my actual camera to record footage, and as you can see, it's really not that stellar, one of the reasons I'm working towards a new camera to film things that I can't grab with the EasyCap! Sure, I could download a ROM of the game, but that's not as fun as just plugging it into my Genesis and blowing 30 times before the game actually loads, now is it?! 
The second genre that Cam picked for me was puzzle, and for that I grabbed a lesser-known puzzler on the PSN called Critter Crunch. If you've ever played Bubble Bobble/Puzzle Bobble/Bust-A-Move, you will probably LOVE this game. On top of that, it's also ADORABLE. I just might play with Liz at some point! You can view a small sampling of Critter Crunch right here on the blog if you'd like!
Besides, who doesn't want to vomit rainbows into their children's mouths. Come on, that's love.  yeah, wat?
Anyway, anyone can contribute to this series, just give me a genre you'd like to me to showcase, and I will do just that! I suppose it would work better if people had a little more confidence in me with requests, but I mean, come on, I do get to all your requests, just... maybe years after you stop caring about YouTube. This was supposed to help build up confidence, but I guess it didn't work all that well, unfortunately. Maybe things will change for me in the future? 
As Strider Hiryu would say: 
"Who can see the future? Those who create it."

No comments:

Post a Comment