Search This Blog!

Monday, January 26, 2015

Filming board games

We actually did get together last Friday to film a run of Superpowerful Bonanza! We had Tethrinblaze, foreverkimberly, GrimJak, JackBauer, The Laundry King and myself, and we played a full game. I thought we were going to have three cameras but as it turned out we only had two going at any particular time. I learned a lot about filming and setting up, so I should be able to put some of that to good use in the near future.
The most important thing about filming board games is that you need to have multiple cameras. The two we had going at any given time were really only focused on the game board, we didn't have an extra camera for the players, so you can't really see any of our boards or what cards we have. Filming a board game IN-PLAY will most likely definitely require at least three cameras. Since the board for SPB is not flat, we had one camera shooting at it on a level field and one camera above it. I suppose for next time we could have one camera on the players and one camera above the board, since you don't really get any good information from the level camera. The level camera also ended up getting knocked down A LOT. 
The real camera I had we used for the sky view of the board. I made a makeshift holder for it out of cardboard and rubber bands, but now that I understand that process, that should actually make it easier to film handheld games, since I can have the camera held aloft above me. I know quite a few people use a shoebox to film handheld games with a regular camera, but... I don't really have any shoeboxes to use and I found that method kind of silly. I did almost the same thing, but I think Homemadegameguru would be proud of me using a piece of cardboard to make the holder. 

Unfortunately, the batteries died in that particular camera sometime within the first twenty minutes, so we're out a skycam for quite a while, until Grim realized he could use the camera on his phone as the skycam for us! There's a long segment without it, but you'll still be able to see the board in some fashion. The other camera, the level one, was my Vita. I learned that night that you can only record video in segments of 30 minutes at a time on the PlayStation Vita. There is somewhat of an abrupt cut in footage around the first 30 minutes as we realized what had happened. The Laundry King also was the one primarily knocking over the Vita, so near the end when he's amassed his massive deck of cards and has them all over the table he knocks it over quite frequently, so I apologize about that! 
I've got a lot more experience under my belt in regards to filming things without capture cards or webcams now, so we'll see where that takes me! I'm still waiting on Grim's video before I can splice everything together, so I'm sorry but you guys will have to wait a bit longer to see the game in action!

No comments:

Post a Comment